The Time-Limited Subsidy Programs in the Permanent Housing Department of LAHSA include the following: Rapid Re-Housing, Recovery Re-Housing, and Shallow Subsidy/Street to Subsidy. As the name states, these programs provide support to households experiencing homelessness by assisting them in accessing permanent housing quickly and for a limited amount of time. The amount of time varies by the specific program. Time - Limited Subsidies are a critical component of the LA Continuum of Care portfolio of permanent housing programs. All Time-Limited Subsidy programs are Housing First, serving anyone regardless of housing barrier, and practice trauma-informed and harm reduction approaches to their work with people experiencing homelessness. They fill the needs of people who do not need a deeper level of support that can be found in our other permanent housing programs such as Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH).
- LAHSA has begun the process of combining Rapid Re-Housing and Recovery Re-Housing under the new program of Time-Limited Subsidies (TLS). This means that TLS work moving forward, including eligible activities, will be similar to the more familiar Rapid Re-Housing Program beginning October 1, 2022.
- All LAHSA funded TLS programs will be switching to slot-based management beginning October 1, 2022. Slot-based management refers to a strategy for managing program enrollments based on the creation of a “participant slot.” The slots represent the number of participants each agency must be serving at any given time in the contract year. This allows providers and our system to continuously manage slots, ensuring they are at full capacity, but not oversubscribed. This differs from prior expectations regarding contracted-to-serve numbers, as those numbers cover the entire fiscal year but do not set a minimum or maximum number of clients at any given time.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPI) submissions will be delayed until further notice. LAHSA will provide training to programs and develop a plan for KPI submission for the 2nd Quarter of FY 22-23. The Time Limited Subsidies KPIs for the FY 22-23 are:
- Exits to Permanent Housing Destination (60%)
- Increased income from all sources (15%)
- Moved into housing within 120 days of program enrollment (70%) (Family and Youth only)
- Remained housed after 6 months of Housing Placement (85%)
- FOR THE ADULT SYSTEM ONLY: Interim Housing (IH) to Time Limited Subsidy (TLS) will be implemented in phases. Beginning October 1 2022, new enrollments for TLS are to come from Housing Navigation. Providers can continue to work with participants who are currently enrolled, but LAHSA recommends providers exit participants who:
- Are not currently housed
- Do not have an EHV voucher issued
Providers should continue to work with participants who are:
- Currently in housing and receiving financial assistance under TLS
- Have EHV/HCV vouchers in hand or have submitted completed EHV applications to PHAs
TLS to PSH Pathway Toolkit
To support a seamless transition and understanding how to initiate a transfer for TLS participants to PSH and the use of the Housing Acuity Index Assement (HAIA) tool, we have prepared a comprehensive training toolkit. This toolkit provides step-by-step guidance on how and when to complete the HAIA tool in HMIS.
- Housing Acuity Index Assessment Job Aid
- Supporting training documents/tools
- Video explaining the tool
- LAHSA TLS to PSH/Housing Acuity Index Assessment Training
- LAHSA TLS to PSH Prioritization Policy
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact your LAHSA Coordinator.