WHAT IS SAFE PARKING?
The Safe Parking Program provides vehicle dwellers with a safe and legal place to park and sleep at night.
WHY DO SAFE PARKING PROGRAMS EXIST?
According to the 2020 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count, vehicular homelessness represents approximately 39% (18,900+) of the total number of unsheltered individuals experiencing homelessness in Los Angeles County.
Vehicle dwellers are often unaware of safe places to rest at night and often lack access to the homeless services delivery system or connection to available supportive services.
The Citywide Safe Parking Program is an approved strategy under the City of Los Angeles Comprehensive Homeless Strategy plan to combat homelessness.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE SAFE PARKING PROGRAM?
Safe Parking Programs may be available to persons who meet the following criteria:
- Individual or family who is experiencing homelessness or actively fleeing domestic violence, living in their vehicle, and has an operable vehicle.
WHAT SERVICES DOES THE SAFE PARKING PROGRAM PROVIDE?
- Access to park a vehicle in a safe parking lot with onsite security and restrooms.
- Access to have a Coordinated Entry System (CES) assessment completed.
- Referrals and linkages to community resources.
- Access to case management, financial assistance, and benefit connection.
- Site amenities may vary according to each site.
CAN I PARK MY RV AT ALL SAFE PARKING LOCATIONS?
The number of available parking spaces and capacity to accommodate RVs are subject to change and dependent on the make-up of vehicles in the parking lots. Interested individuals should contact service providers to confirm the current availability.
WHERE CAN I ACCESS THIS PROGRAM?
Safe Parking programs can be accessed by contacting or visiting a service provider in your area or by completing the Safe Parking Referral form.
Once the referral form is completed and submitted, the Safe Parking provider will be contacted to verify the participant’s eligibility.
If a participant/household meets the eligibility criteria and space is available on-site, the Safe Parking provider will contact them to schedule an intake.
LAHSA-FUNDED Safe Parking SItes
A list can be found here.
Safe Parking Flyer and Location Details