LA CoC Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC)
The Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC) is a component of the Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count. The HIC is a point-in-time inventory of projects/programs or sites within the Los Angeles Continuum of Care (LA CoC) that provide beds and units dedicated to serve people experiencing homelessness or people who have experienced homelessness.
Nationally, data provided through the HIC process is provided to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to document Los Angeles’ shelter and housing resources. The submission of the HIC to HUD is also a part of Los Angeles’ application for federal funds on an annual basis.
Locally, the LA CoC analyzes HIC data on available and upcoming shelter/housing resources in planning and advocating for our homeless response system. LAHSA shares the completed HIC with Coordinated Entry System (CES) leadership, homeless assistance providers, governmental leaders, advocates, and others helping to end homelessness locally.
The Shelter Count includes all participants who are served and entered the project’s/program’s on or before the date of January 22, 2020.
You can find more detailed information by clicking on the Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC) Fact Sheet
Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC) Data Collection Validation Period is from February 3 – 21, 2020
- HIC data collection for LAHSA occurs after the Street Count to ensure sufficient time for you to collect the necessary information that you need to complete the LA CoC Shelter Count & HIC web form. The web form will be accessible through your LAHSA account.
- To prepare your organization’s Shelter Count & HIC data for submission to LAHSA:
- HMIS projects/programs:
- Make sure HMIS is up-to-date for each project/program with the people you served that night of January 22, 2020.
- Shelter Count & HIC data LAHSA has available from HMIS will be displayed on the LA CoC Shelter Count & HIC web form for you to verify. There is no need to re-enter data into the form. Any issues you find when reviewing the data will need to be corrected through HMIS.
- Non-HMIS projects/programs
- For the night of each project/program shelter count, review and update the bed inventory information and the number of occupants that you served the night of January 22, 2020, including certain occupant demographics.
Watch the 2020 Shelter Count & HIC Video
Things to keep in mind
- The data collection period for the Shelter/Housing Inventory Count runs from February 3 to February 21, 2020
HIC data collection for LAHSA occurs after the Street Count to ensure sufficient time for you to collect the necessary information that you need to complete the LA CoC Shelter Count/HIC web form in MyOrg (available on LAHSA’s website).
If you are an HMIS-participating provider, make sure HMIS is up-to-date with the people you served that night of your SPA’s Street Count.
If you are a non-HMIS participating provider, you will be able to add your point-in-time data on the LA CoC Shelter Count/HIC Form.
Any HIC data LAHSA has available will be displayed on the LA CoC Shelter Count/HIC web form in MyOrg for you to verify. There is no need to re-enter data into the form. Any issues you find when reviewing the data should be addressed through the comment boxes on the form.
What We Count
Interim Housing programs for currently homeless people
- Emergency Shelter
- Transitional Housing
- Safe Haven
Housing options for formerly homeless persons
- Permanent Supportive Housing
- Rapid Re-Housing
- Other Permanent Housing
* Refer to fact sheet for definitions
Questions or Technical Support
If you have any questions or need technical assistance, please contact HMISSupport@lahsa.org with a detailed description of your questions or concerns. To streamline support operations, please include the URL of the page.
HIC Data Summary