LA CoC Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC)
The Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC) is a component of the Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count. The HIC is a point-in-time inventory of projects/programs or sites within the Los Angeles Continuum of Care (LA CoC) that provide beds and units dedicated to serve people experiencing homelessness or people who have experienced homelessness.
Nationally, data provided through the HIC process is provided to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to document Los Angeles’ shelter and housing resources. The submission of the HIC to HUD is also a part of Los Angeles’ application for federal funds on an annual basis.
Locally, the LA CoC analyzes HIC data on available and upcoming shelter/housing resources in planning and advocating for our homeless response system. LAHSA shares the completed HIC with Coordinated Entry System (CES) leadership, homeless assistance providers, governmental leaders, advocates, and others helping to end homelessness locally.
The Shelter Count includes all participants who are served and entered the project’s/program’s on or before the date of February 23, 2022.
You can find more detailed information by clicking on the Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC) Fact Sheet
Shelter Count & Housing Inventory Count (HIC) review, data validation, and quality assurance period is from March 2 - March 31, 2022.
- The LA CoC Shelter Count & HIC is available on the web form. The web form is accessible through your LAHSA account.
- To prepare your organization’s Shelter Count & HIC data for submission to LAHSA:
- HMIS projects/programs:
- Make sure HMIS is up-to-date for each project/program with the people you served that night of February 23, 2022.
- Shelter Count & HIC data LAHSA has available from HMIS will be displayed on the LA CoC Shelter Count & HIC web form for you to verify. There is no need to re-enter data into the form. Any issues you find when reviewing the data will need to be corrected through HMIS.
- Non-HMIS projects/programs
- For the night of each project/program shelter count, review and update the bed inventory information and the number of occupants that you served the night of February 23, 2022, including certain occupant demographics.
2022 Housing Inventory Count and Point in Time Training
How to Review and Complete the HIC PIT Summary
Things to keep in mind
- The data collection, data validation, and quality assurance period for the Shelter Count & HIC runs from March 2 to March 31, 2022.
- HIC data collection for LAHSA occurs after the Street Count to ensure sufficient time for you to collect the necessary information that you need to complete the LA CoC Shelter Count/HIC web form available on the LAHSA website.
- If you are an HMIS-participating provider, make sure HMIS is up-to-date with the people you served that night of the Shelter Count.
- If you are a non-HMIS participating provider, you will be able to enter your point-in-time data directly on the LA CoC Shelter Count & HIC web form.
- Any HIC data LAHSA has available will be displayed on the LA CoC Shelter Count & HIC web form. There is no need to re-enter data into the form. Any issues you find when reviewing the data, email hmisSupport@lahsa.org
What We Count
Interim Housing programs for currently homeless people
- Emergency Shelter
- Transitional Housing
- Safe Haven
Housing options for formerly homeless persons
- Permanent Supportive Housing
- Rapid Re-Housing
- Other Permanent Housing
Questions or Technical Support
If you have any questions or need technical assistance, please contact HMISSupport@lahsa.org with a detailed description of your questions or concerns. To streamline support operations, please include the URL of the page.
HIC Data Summary